N.T. Vatutin, N.V. Kalinkina, A.N. Shevelyok Myocardial ectopic activity as a risk factor for recurrence of atrial fibrillation

The purpose of the study was to evaluate the role of myocardial ectopic activity in predicting atrial fibrillation (AF) recurrence. The study included 72 patients (44 men and 28 women, average age (58.6±8.5) years) with moderate hypertension and stable coronary heart disease who had history of a paroxysm of AF and sinus rhythm at the time of the study initiation. Initially all patients underwent 24-hour ECG-monitoring. Maximal, minimal and average heart rate (HR), arrhythmias and conduction abnormalities were analyzed. During 6-months follow-up period AF paroxysms frequency and duration was registered. 38 (56 %) patients (1st group) presented AF recurrence, the rest 30 (44 %) (2nd group) had sinus rhythm during the follow-up period. Reliable (Р<0.05) atrial fibrillation recurrence risk factors were average HR > 78 bpm (odds ratio (OR) 1.23; confidence interval (CI) 1.02–2.06), maximal HR > 136 bpm (OR 1.26; CI 1.06–1.42), 24-hour single premature beats quantity > 68 (OR 1.14; CI 1.03–1.18) and grouped supraventricular premature beats > 5 (OR 1.24; CI 1.16–1.48). In conclusion, increased HR and atrial ectopic activity are independent risk factors of AF recurrence.

Full article